Sigulda Evangelic Lutheran Church

Opening Hours:

May - September

10.00 - 17.00
October - April

10.00 - 16.00

A communion service is held 

every Sunday at 11 am

Events in the church

Conversations with Pastor Andris Grots

Conversations with Pastor Andris Grots

Mondays from 10:00 to 12:00

Or at any other time, by prior arrangement by phone

+371 22002414

Sunday School lessons for children's

Sunday School lessons for childrens

happens on Sundays, a communion services time

training

Studies of Initiation

On Saturdays at 10:30

Bible lessons

Bible lessons

Thursdays at 10:00

News

A communion service with social conversations

20.08.2017 at 11:00 Berthul communion service with social conversations

The opening of our new website

20.08.2017
The opening of our new website

Church decorations for your solemn moments - marriage, baptism, etc.

Sigulda Evangelic Lutheran Church

The stately tower topped with a rooster belongs to the Evangelic Lutheran Church of Sigulda. The parish of Sigulda was established back in 1225. Historical records show that the first church was built near Sigulda castle a year later. There are no records about its appearance, but we can presume it was a wooden structure. A masonry church was later built in it's place and is mentioned in the 1483 chronicles as the church of St. Bartholomew.

Both families of the Sigulda manor owners, Count von der Borh and Knyaz/duke Kropotkin, were benefactors of the church. Olga Krapotkina, following the example of her father who in 1854 covered the expenses of repairing the floors and church organ, supported the church and parish during her lifetime. Even though she later converted to the Russian Orthodox faith, she continued to help the church. The altar painting by local artist Cirulis was also one of her gifts. Unfortunately the painting is no longer there. There are also ornate ceiling lamps in the church dating back to the second part of the 19th century, possibly another gift of Olga Krapotkina.

A marble relief made by the then German-Baltic sculptor, August Folts, was been placed in the altar room after the demise of the patroness. A relief of the Countess Eleonora von der Borgh, the grandmother of the Olga Krapotkina, was also there. Both commemoration tablets are now at the Turaida Museum reserve.

In 1930, the new iron-concrete tower, designed after architect's Konstantins Pēkšēns drawing, was completed, and the new altar adorned with the painting “Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane” by Janis Roberts Tilbergs.

During the Soviet era from 1965 to 1990, Sigulda church was the only house of the Lord and was used by a number of members from different religions.

The church is open to visitors daily from 10am until 5 pm.
You can view the exhibition on the church's history and a series of artworks made from buttons called “The Button mosaics” by Valdis Atāls. You are also welcome to climb the tower and take a look at the area from the above!

Sigulda Evangelic Lutheran Church Contacts

Sigulda Evangelic Lutheran Church


Pastor– Andris Grots

+371 22002414

Church Senior-  Viāna Markova
+371 29420955


Mob. phone
+371 27839631

Phone

+371 67618372


E-mail
info@siguldasbaznica.lv


Legal adress

Baznīcas iela 2, Sigulda, LV-2150
Reg. nr.  RO001505


Bank details

A/S “Swedbank”, Code HABALV22

Account Nr. LV11HABA0551012598761

Contact Us